Tuesday, October 20, 2020

The Best Horror Movie Of 1988

A Fond Look Back at 1988's Horror Gems

1988 was a golden year for horror cinema, with a diverse range of films that thrilled, scared, and entertained audiences worldwide. From the return of iconic franchises to fresh and innovative takes on the genre, 1988 had something for every horror fan.

I was able to see a good amount of them in the theater, and others I had to wait to catch on cable or find later at the video store. 

Among my favorite releases were Childs Play, Night of the Demons, Pumpkin Head, Fright Night II, The Robert Englund directed 976-Evil, A Nightmare on Elm Street Part 4 The Dream Master, Halloween 4: The Return of Michael Myers, and the great Friday the 13th Part VII: The New Blood...opinions vary.


Alongside more serious horror fare, there were also lighthearted and enjoyable horror films like Critters 2: The Main Course and The Blob that made for an entertaining Friday night at the Marlow Heights Cinema. I would eagerly get my ticket, hoping for a great movie, but I was perfectly content with them being just "okay."



The Disappointment of Poltergeist III

While 1988 offered many delights, there were also some letdowns. Poltergeist III, in particular, fell short of expectations.


Released in July 1988 I eagerly went to the movies Saturday afternoon of the opening weekend. The day prior was my last day of 6th grade and besides saying goodbye to my friends all I talked about was looking forward to seeing Poltergeist III.


Having loved Poltergeist II: The Other Side, I eagerly anticipated Poltergeist III, hoping for another mind-blowing experience. However, the film's disjointed plot and lack of connection to its predecessors left me feeling disappointed.




The Unexpected Delight of Phantasm II

Amidst this abundance of great horror, I believe Phantasm II stands out as the true gem of the year. This underrated sequel to the cult classic Phantasm delivered a thrilling and terrifying experience, leaving a lasting impression on me.

In contrast to my disappointment with Poltergeist III, Phantasm II provided a pleasant surprise. I had no prior exposure to the original Phantasm, so I approached the sequel with no preconceived notions. What I found was a dark, atmospheric, and genuinely terrifying film that exceeded my expectations.



It was a Friday night, possibly opening weekend for Phantasm II. My cousin and I were in my Uncle's house entertaining ourselves with a dashing game of Sorry!, when the next-door neighbors, who were college-age, came over and asked if we wanted to go see a movie. YES!!! Phantasm II? Hell YES!!!. 

Holy sh** this movie was awesome! I hadn't seen the original Phantasm, so I had no idea what to expect. The movie was dark and haunting. The imagery was bleak. The kills were creative and disturbing. And the music...creepy as hell.

The movie has everything you need for a horror joy ride. A badass shit-talking hero in Reggie. A hunt that takes us through graveyards and hauntingly, abandoned towns, corpse reanimation, and of course the alcohol-guzzling priest. The Tall Man and his deadly spheres are icing on the cake.



A Legacy of Horror Excellence

Many fans of the original Phantasm expressed disappointment with the sequel, viewing it as a rehash of the first film with little originality. I can understand their perspective, having seen the original Phantasm after watching the sequel.

The long wait of nearly a decade for a sequel fueled their expectations, only to be met with a film that felt like a carbon copy of the first. I also experienced a similar sense of closure after my 6-year wait for Phantasm III: Lord of the Dead, which marked the end of my Phantasm journey.

Phantasm II's blend of horror and action, reminiscent of films like Predator and Aliens, makes it a standout in 1988's crowded horror landscape. Despite its smaller budget, the film delivers a visually stunning and emotionally gripping experience that has rightfully earned its place among the horror greats.










0 comments:

Post a Comment